What a week! I gotta say, whether you’re going 1000 miles or just 1.5 miles, moving is no joke. It has been a crazy few days around here. Steven and I closed on our new house on Tuesday and the moving mayhem officially began. We were working quickly, trying to beat the snowstorm that the weatherman was predicting to roll in on Friday, so I didn’t get a chance to take too many photos. But, here are a few highlights…

Tuesday – Day 333 – Closing day! Woohoo!!! Papers signed. Keys in hand. We’re homeowners again!

I gave the house a good cleaning, and then Steven started loading and hauling all the boxes he could fit in the back of the minivan. He hauled 2-3 loads, and then we decided it was time to break for the night and head down to the Haymarket for a celebratory sushi dinner with Miss Cadence.

Wednesday – Day 334 – Mom and Dad arrived around noon on Wednesday with Dad’s pickup and a trailer. Boy did things start to move a lot faster after that! Our goal? To haul all of the boxes and beds over to the new house so we could spend our first night there. Papa Shawn even hopped a flight from Denver to come help, and once he arrived that evening, we were on a roll. Mission accomplished.

Thursday – Day 335 – Dad, Steven and Shawn spent the day hauling everything that was left, which consisted of a whole lot of odds and ends (things like Steven’s life-size R2-D2 cooler, our drum sets and more hangers than we know what do with) as well as all our big heavy furniture. After getting our king size mattress stuck in the stairwell for a good 15 minutes before we managed to muscle it through (thank God the box springs are split or we would have had some real issues), we knew that it was going to take some manuevering to get everything where we wanted it. We managed though, and with the exception of our extra couch being banished to the sunroom instead of the office, the boys managed to make everything else fit.

While they did that, Mom kept an eye on Cadence, and I got started unpacking the kitchen. Here’s a little surprise I found in one of our boxes of wine glasses. All I have to say is, I’m glad this little guy was already dead when I found him…

Friday – Day 336 – By Friday, everything had been moved, except for cleaning supplies and a few groceries in the refrigerator. We spent most of Friday unpacking more boxes and arranging furniture in the house. Steven got the TV and Blu-Ray player hooked up so Miss Cadence could watch a movie while we worked. Somehow Papa Duane got sucked into watching Despicable Me, and whether he wants to admit to enjoying it or not, he sat right next to Cadence and watched the entire movie.

Then, Friday afternoon, Mom, Dad and I headed over to the old house to give it a good cleaning and to make sure there wasn’t anything left behind. We called the landlords to let them know we were finished, locked the keys in the house, and said our final goodbyes to the rental. Then, we headed out to dinner to celebrate.

Saturday – Day 337 – After being gone for four days, Wendy, Whitney and Collin were sure missing Papa Shawn and no doubt counting every second until he returned home. Unfortunately, we weren’t quite sure if the weather was going to cooperate. The rain began late Friday night, and then the freezing rain and snow came. By midday Saturday, we were driving on icy roads through several inches of snow to get Papa Shawn to the airport. His flight ended up being delayed just 20 minutes, and he returned home without a hitch. We are missing him something fierce around here. After getting to see the Osborns on Thanksgiving, and then having Papa Shawn return almost immediately to spend another few days, we are having serious withdrawals around here. Guess we’re going to have to start planning the next visit.

Mom and Dad originally planned to head back home Saturday, but after seeing how bad the roads already were, they thought it was probably smarter to spend another night in Lincoln and wait for the weather to clear up. Cadence, Electra, and I just couldn’t pass up the winter wonderland outside our windows. While Electra tracked squirrels through the yard and Steven shoveled the sidewalks and waited for the guys to arrive to hook up the internet, Cadence and I bundled up to go play in the snow and build our first ever snowman. Cadence was great help, until she discovered how delightful the frozen snow felt on her sore teething gums. After that, I spent most of my time making sure she wasn’t sampling any yellow snow. We had a blast, and luckily Mom snapped a few photos for us.

Sunday – Day 338 – After a long week of moving, we decided the best way to spend our Lazy Football Sunday was to do a little bit of work around the house, and then to just hang out and watch some movies (since we don’t have our satellite hooked up yet to actually watch football). At this point, the kitchen is nearly finished, Cadence’s room is completely unpacked, our computers are set up and online again, our dining room is recognizeable and our living room has been rearranged (for the 3rd time). We still have a lot to do before we are completely settled, but we’ve made a lot of progress already, and we’re both just really excited to find a routine in our new home.

As you can see, Electra is already feeling quite comfortable here. She’s a big fan of the latest living room arrangement, since the squirrels seem to enjoy playing in the tree outside this window the most. From her new perch, she can sun herself and catch a few zzz’s while keeping an eye on them at the same time.

Tonight’s 365 Project entry is dedicated to a new beginning in our new home, and to Mom, Dad and Papa Shawn for helping to make the transition here a smooth one! Now, who’s gonna come visit next? 🙂

About the Author Lori Romano

I am a writer, photographer, wife, mother, dog owner, half-assed housekeeper and a self-proclaimed coffee and chocolate addict. One day, I will write a book.


Leave a reply. You know you wanna.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.