So in the midst of all the recent craziness, Henry went and said his first word. Little man has been babbling for awhile now, but it seems that a few weeks out of the house and away from Cadence’s constant chatter spurred H-man to begin exercising his own vocal chords. And I dare say that now there just might be a 3-way tie in our house for who is the loudest (bet you can’t guess which 3).

Before we even left for San Diego, Henry’s sleep schedule was bordering on ridiculous. The dreaded 4-month sleep regression had hit us hard and never really went away, likely due in part to the fact that H-man started busting out teeth at 3-months-old. Add that to a week spent in a hotel room with me coming and going all hours of the day and night, an abrupt introduction to formula after my milk supply tanked and my freezer stash ran out, and then just a brief pit stop home before hopping a flight to New York for a funeral and you’ve got a recipe for disaster. And I wasn’t surprised that my baby boy revolted and refused to sleep anywhere but snuggled up tight against my chest clutching my shirt for dear life. The only bad part was that Stevie and I were sharing a bed that would only be considered regulation size of you were a card-carrying member of the Lollipop Guild.

So, considering everything else that was going on, I am pretty proud of myself for even realizing that Henry officially started talking while we were in New York. And while I may have missed the very first utterance, if my little H-man is anything, he is persistent.

“Nigh nigh. Nigh nigh. Nigh nigh nigh nigh nigh.”

I was only half paying attention. I saw Henry rubbing his eyes, and knew he was tired and jet-lagged. A few moments later, when I didn’t respond, Henry kicked up the volume and added a frustrated whine.

“Nigh nigh. Nigh nigh nigh! NIGH NIGH.”

“Yeah Henry? Night night? You tired little man? Time for night night?

Henry smiled at me and rubbed his eyes. “Nigh nigh nigh nigh.”

I took him to the bedroom, changed his diaper, fed him, and two minutes later, he was fast asleep.

The next nap time followed the same routine. And on and on.

And now that we are home and we finally seem to be shifting back down to low gear, H-man is not only announcing when he is ready to go to bed, he is also SLEEPING THROUGH THE FREAKIN’ NIGHT! Hallelujah!! I hope I don’t jinx it by mentioning it but H-man has slept well every night since we returned home. The first couple nights, he told us “nigh nigh” and went to bed around 8 pm, woke at 3 am to eat, and then back to sleep until 7:30ish. Last night, he went to bed at 7 pm and woke at 6:15 am.

I tell ya, after running on 2-3 hours a night for the past month, this is heaven.

Fingers crossed it continues.  

Leave a reply. You know you wanna.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: